How Can I Disenroll from Medicare? | MedicareHealthPlans

Medicare Health Plans is an independent review site. However, we may earn money when you click on links on our site. Read more about How We Make Money

How Can I Disenroll from Medicare?

If you continue to work after you turn 65, you may not want to enroll in Original Medicare, also known as Part A and Part B. After all, Part A can keep you from contributing to your Health Savings Accounts.

You can disenroll by filling out this form (CMS-1763) and sending it to your local Social Security office, which you can find here.

If you disenroll from Part A, there are some things you need to carefully consider. For example, you will no longer receive Social Security benefits. If you drop it after you turn 65, you will have to pay back the money you received from Social Security and any benefits you received since you turned 65. Those who are receiving social security benefits will automatically enroll in Part A and Part B, so make sure to act fast if you want to drop Part A.

You can also disenroll by joining a Medicare Advantage (MA) Plan during your Initial Enrollment Period for Part B or the Open Enrollment Period. Your Initial Enrollment Period begins three months before you become eligible, the month you are eligible and three months after. The Open Enrollment Period is from October 15 to December 7 each year.

Below, you will learn how to disenroll from different plans, including Part B only, MA, Supplement, and Part D plans.

Disenrolling from Part B

Similarly to Part A, you can disenroll for Part B by filling out the CMS-1763 form. However, you are required to fill out this form either during an in-person interview at your local Social Security office or over the phone with a Social Security representative (1-800-772-1213 or TTY 1-800-325-0778).

You’re probably asking yourself why you have to have a Social Security representative walk you through the form. Well, they want to make sure you know the consequences of leaving, including the fact that you may have to pay a late penalty if you enroll in the future.

Thankfully, if you’re leaving to get primary health insurance coverage from you or your spouse’s employer, you won’t be penalized if you want to re-enroll in the future, as long as you do so within eight months of your employer’s coverage or your job ending (whichever comes first).

Leaving Your MA Plan

You can typically leave this type of plan, also referred to as Part C, and return to Part A and Part B during the following two times every year:

  • Medicare Advantage Disenrollment Period (MADP): This period occurs from January 1 to February 14 each year.
  • Open Enrollment Period (OEP): This period occurs from October 15 to December 7 each year.

All you have to do to return to Part A and Part B or enroll in a prescription drug plan is request to disenroll from MA by contacting either your plan or Medicare (1-800-633-4227 or TTY 1-877-486-2048). You should be officially disenrolled the first month after your request.

Outside of MADP and OEP, you may be able to leave your MA Plan at another time during the year if you are in a special circumstance that affects your plan.

Leaving Part D

You can leave your Part D prescription drug plan during the Open Enrollment Period, from October 15 to December 7 each year. If you want to leave it for good and not join another plan during this period, you can do one of the following:

  • Call Medicare at 1-800-633-4227 or TTY 1-877-486-2048.
  • Write a written notice that you want to disenroll and mail or fax it to your plan.
  • Request to disenroll on your plan’s website, if your plan allows you to do so.
  • Call the plan to request a disenrollment notice. You can then complete the notice and return it to your plan.

You may be able to leave your Part D plan at another time if you are in a certain circumstance that affects your plan.

Be aware that if you go 63 days or more in a row without creditable prescription drug coverage and then want to join a Prescription Drug Plan in the future, you may be penalized. If you are leaving to get drug coverage from an employer, check with your employer to make sure your coverage is creditable.

Dropping Your Supplement Plan

You can drop your Medicare Supplement (MS) Plan, also called Medigap, by contacting your insurance company. However, unless you are within your 6-month Medigap Open Enrollment Period, which begins the first month you have Part B and are 65, or you have a Special Enrollment Period, you may not be able to get another plan in the future. Insurance companies will be able to deny you a policy or charge you more for one based on your current or previous health.


This site is a U.S. Consumer site. You can learn more about our site and privacy policy here.