What is Silver Sneakers and Does Medicare Cover the Program?
Silver Sneakers is a nationwide health and fitness program targeted at older adults. It encourages aging individuals to participate in physical activities, and it also promotes social interaction with group workout opportunities. The program is available in over 13,000 gyms and fitness centers around the country, including YMCA locations. Use this handy tool to find participating locations near you.
The Silver Sneakers program includes access to any participating gym or fitness center as well as classes and events aimed at aging adults.
What does Silver Sneakers offer?
Silver Sneakers members get access to a wide variety of health and fitness benefits:
- Gym access at thousands of locations across the country
- Events designed to help participants meet other people with similar interests
- Health, nutrition, and fitness information online
- Classes designed specifically for older adults to help them stay fit and healthy
All of these included benefits are available at no cost to members.
Does Medicare cover Silver Sneakers?
Original Medicare does not offer Silver Sneakers. The program is considered a basic fitness service, which doesn’t fall under Medicare’s umbrella. However, many Medicare Advantage plans do offer Silver Sneakers.
To find out if your healthcare plan covers Silver Sneakers, you can contact your healthcare provider directly. You can also use the handy eligibility tool provided by the program. Just enter your name, birthdate, and other requested info and the tool will get you started.
How much does Silver Sneakers cost?
If your healthcare covers Silver Sneakers, the program is completely free to you. All you have to do is enroll, and any eligible classes, gym memberships, and other included services are yours.
New to Medicare? Let our insurance experts help you find a Medicare Advantage plan that includes these benefits. Call today to get started.
How do I enroll in Silver Sneakers?
To enroll in Silver Sneakers, simply use the previously mentioned eligibility tool to determine if your insurance offers the program. If it does, you can print your ID card online. You’ll also receive a copy in the mail. Once you have your ID card, just go to a participating location, show them the card, and they’ll get you set up. You can request a Silver Sneakers orientation, take a tour of the facilities, and sign up for classes.
You can also access the Silver Sneakers online resources with your membership. There are eBooks and videos to educate you on health and wellness.
Are there any alternatives to Silver Sneakers?
There are some similar programs. Local gyms and fitness centers may offer programs that target aging adults, and there are also national plans like Silver & Fit that offer similar benefits.
What classes are offered by Silver Sneakers?
- SilverSneakers Classic: These are classes set to music that focus on improving strength and flexibility.
- SilverSneakers Circuit: These are circuit training classes to improve endurance, cardiovascular fitness, and strength.
- SilverSneakers CardioFit: These aerobics classes focus on low-impact exercises, as well as stretching and strength workouts, that are safe for older adults.
- SilverSneakers Yoga: Through these yoga classes, you can improve flexibility and balance. Yoga is also excellent for relaxation, stress management, and your general well-being.
- SilverSneakers Splash: These classes include water-based exercises that improve flexibility, cardiovascular health, and endurance. You do not need to know how to swim for these classes because they are held in shallow water.
Silver Sneakers is a great program for helping older individuals stay active and social. If you’re eligible, you should definitely take advantage. And if you have further questions about Medicare topics, check out our comprehensive FAQs pages.