The Silver&Fit Program–Embrace Active and Healthy Aging
Silver&Fit is a fitness and healthy aging program designed by American Specialty Health (ASH). It’s designed specifically for older adults. You may get access to Silver&Fit as a Medicare beneficiary through many insurance companies’ Medicare Advantage and Supplement plans.
Benefits of Silver&Fit programs
As a Silver&Fit member, you get access to a fitness facility membership that includes a broad network of fitness facilities. To find a gym near you, enter your ZIP code on the website. You can then search among facilities that take part in the Silver&Fit program. These are the types of Silver&Fit-approved gyms and facilities:
- Basic fitness facilities: For exercise and training that protects your heart and increases your strength, look into the Silver&Fit basic fitness facilities. Available equipment may include treadmills, elliptical machines, free weights, and more.
- Full facilities: These gyms offer a wide range of heart-healthy and strength training services. You may also be able to sign up for classes like yoga, Zumba, or the official Silver&Fit Signature Series exercise program.
- Gender-specific gyms: If you prefer visiting a facility designed for particular genders, you can choose one that is Silver&Fit-approved.
- Exercise centers: These facilities offer services beyond your standard gym or fitness center. Amenities vary on location but may include lap pools and saunas or yoga, Pilates, or sports centers.
Can’t travel to a fitness facility or prefer working out at home? No problem—enroll in the Silver&Fit Home Fitness Program. This program allows you to choose from more than 15 home fitness kits, which include materials such as DVDs, booklets, and a quick start guide. Some examples of the Home Fitness Program include:
- Walking kits
- Yoga kits
- Chair Pilates kits
- Stress management kits
- Chair boxing kits
- Tai Chi kits
- Cardio strength kits
- Aquatic exercise kits
To enroll, visit Silver&Fit online. Each Home Fitness Program member can choose any two of the 17 kits each year.
More Silver&Fit benefits
Silver&Fit members may also receive additional benefits.
- Online and DVD resources: Silver&Fit gives you access to an online catalog and DVD library containing health and well-being resources. Topics include meditation, staying active, and community involvement.
- Fitness challenges: If you’re into a little bit of competition, you can sign up for Silver&Fit fitness challenges. You can compete against friends and family, or challenge yourself to reach new health goals.
- Exercise and rewards program: The Silver&Fit Connected! program allows you to use a smartphone or smart-fitness device to track your fitness and health choices to earn rewards.*
*To use Silver&Fit Connected!, you must use your own wearable fitness device or app that is compatible with the Silver&Fit website. ASH will not reimburse you for the costs of these devices or apps. Not all plans include the above features, and certain terms and restrictions may apply.
How to enroll in Silver&Fit
Certain Medicare Advantage and Medicare Supplement plans include the Silver&Fit program as a benefit. Some people may also get access through a group retirement health plan. Here are some common health plans that offer the program to some members:
You must meet at least one of these criteria to be eligible for Silver&Fit:
- You are age 65 or older.
- You are currently enrolled in Medicare.
To find out if you’re eligible, visit this online Silver&Fit eligibility check. You’ll need to enter your first name, last name, and birth date. If you’re an eligible Silver&Fit program member, follow the steps to enroll online.
The costs of the program depend on which health plan you have. Some plans may require you to pay a registration fee to enroll, which you’ll pay to ASH.
Your membership activation depends on how you pay. With a credit card, your membership is immediately effective once the payment is accepted. Paying by money order means you have to wait until Silver&Fit gets the money order before your membership is activated. Once your payment has been received, you will receive your Silver&Fit welcome letter and ID card.
With easy access to gyms that meet your needs and classes tailored for older adults, Silver&Fit is an excellent way to stay active while aging. If you’re interested, look for a Medicare Advantage or Supplement plan that includes the program.
† You must continue to pay your Medicare Part B premium.